Disability insurance helps replace lost income if you are unable to work due to an accident or illness. It provides coverage that will help you keep up with your financial responsibilities while you focus on recovery.
Ideal if you are
- A business owner or independent professional
- Self-employed worker or a freelancer
- In high-risk occupations that don’t qualify for traditional coverage
- An employee with limited or no group disability insurance
How disability insurance works
Disability Insurance pays a tax-free monthly amount based on your regular income if you’re unable to work due to an illness or accident. You’ll receive the tax-free monthly amount during the period selected.
- You can choose a coverage that protects your income or covers your loan payments, upon the presentation of financial evidence, in case of a disability. During the first 7 years, if your needs change, you can switch one protection for another, without having to provide new evidence of good health.
- While you’re receiving your monthly amounts, you don’t have to pay the disability insurance premiums.
- You must satisfy a waiting period before receiving your first monthly amount. For waiting periods of less than 90 days, you’re eligible to receive your amount as of the first day of hospitalization or day surgery.
What we offer
Based on your needs, income and budget, you decide:
- the monthly amount you will receive in case of disability (between $400 and $10,000)
- the waiting period before you receive your first monthly amount (0 to 2 years)
- The benefit period during which you will receive the monthly amount:
- 2 years
- 5 years
- Up to age 65 or 70 depending on the coverage chosen
Depending on the coverage chosen:
- Increase the monthly amount to keep up with your income, without having to provide new evidence of good health.
- Receive a portion of your monthly amount if you’re able to work part-time or gradually return to work after a total disability.
- Receive a 50% refund of premiums paid, minus any monthly amounts you’ve received if you cancel the policy on one of the eligible surrender dates.
- Continue to receive monthly amounts if you’re unable to perform the duties specific to your regular occupation beyond the 24-month period provided in your basic coverage, even if you could perform another occupation.
- And more
Complimentary assistance services
Complimentary assistance services for you and your loved ones are available at any time online or by phone, including:
- A health and well-being platform with reliable resources to make informed decisions
- 24/7 phone assistance services
- Direct consultation with a doctor to answer your questions and connect with world-renowned specialists to confirm a diagnosis and determine an optimal treatment plan (by Best Doctors® registered trademark)
How to buy a policy
Make an appointment with a representative today. They’ll assess your financial needs and recommend a solution best-suited to your priorities.
Our clients say it best
“When I had forms to fill out, someone called me to explain everything. I got all the documents and information I needed.”*
* This feedback was obtained when clients called us for service or a claim and may be a translation.